Our Bright and Fun Playroom: The Details

8 Nov

Now that you have been introduced to the playroom, time to go over some items in the room!

***Update***

Check-Out the play kitchen we designed and made for the playroom too!

ThisGreyHouse DIY Play Kitchen

Bookcase, Storage Benches, and Library Cart:

I love looking on Landofnod.com and fell in love with a bookcase they sell but at $800 bucks for 2, it was time to call my daddy-o up and bat my eyes one more time (He had been looking for a wood project to do and it’s for his granddaughter so it didn’t take much convincing). He found a fabulous website (Ana-White.com) that had the exact plans of the bookcase so you could make it yourself and it worked out great!  He made it 6 inches taller to gain some more space and made some storage benches for the sides. They look great together!

In progress :)

That website also had plans for a library cart so Kyler got one of those too :)

THANK YOU DAD!

TV Stand:

Chris decided to make this after a trip to Ikea. I had something specific in mind and the cheapest I could find it was for $350 and we knew he could make it for less! I told him what I wanted and he sketched it out and wala! We have a TV stand :)

THANK YOU CHRIS!

Chalk Table:

We had an old coffee table we really weren’t using and the finish was coming off so we decided to refinish it. I loved this table from the Land of Nod (shocker) and took my friend’s suggestion to make it a chalk table instead. We sanded it down, painted it red, and now we have a fun play table!

ThisGreyHouse Playroom

This is what our garage looked like for a few weeks:

Poufs:

I loved the idea of putting poufs around the chalk table but at $80-$150 a pop I knew there was no way. So of course in my mind I said “I can make those” and off I was scowering the interent for ideas and plans. Thanks to this awesome post, I modified the pattern to make them smaller and I was on my way. One problem, I didn’t even know how to use a sewing machine! Mom showed me how to thread it and I was on my way. They take a ton of stuffing, 5 lbs each to be exact, but they are so much fun!

Cutting out my pieces!

Window Cornices:

I knew I wanted to make these instantly! I found some awesome fabric online, had my pops whip up 2 window cornices for me and I had them done in a night! Easy as can be and makes a great impact in the room!

Putting them together!

Crayon Art:

This is so much fun to make!

ThisGreyHouse Playroom

Buy a canvas and a bunch of crayons. Lay your crayons out in whatever order you want. Hot glue the crayons on the canvas.

ThisGreyHouse Playroom

Get your blow dryer and dry from the top! They start melting pretty fast but note: it can be messy! Make sure you have your floors and wall protected around it.

ThisGreyHouse Playroom

Super simple! It dries super fast and you have a fun new piece of art!

We created 5 areas in her playroom:

Create:

This is the “art” corner of the playroom! These lines from Ikea are great for hanging art! We also bought the little hanging storage bins from there as well.

Read:

Kyler’s cousins, Parks and Emma, were so kind to give Kyler this little chair! My Aunt Bunny had this little blue chair at her house for them when they were little but Emma said it was okay that Kyler use it for a while. I love the forward facing book shelves (home-made with scrap wood in the garage)! They instant add decor to the room but also serve a purpose!

Imagine:

There isn’t much in this space yet but this is where her play kitchen will go! I loved my play kitchen growing up and I hope she will love hers!

***Update***

Here is the play kitchen in the space!

Play:

I know it’s obvious but this is where all her toys go!

Explore:

The World Map is the last “area” of the room. I love traveling and learning about other areas of the world and I hope she will share the same interest.

ThisGreyHouse Playroom

Hope everyone enjoys it! Let me know if you have any questions!

Room List:

• Orange Paint: Autumn Glaze, Valspar
  • Large Map: Lulukuku Designs on Etsy
  • Red paint for table: La Fonda Fireberry, Valspar
  • Fabric for windows: Rainbow Chevron by Riley Blake
  • Fabric for poufs/pillows: Gotcha print by Premier Prints in: Corn Yellow, Chartreuse, Candy Purple, Girly Blue
  • Fabric for benches: Corn Yellow by Premier Prints
  • Fabric for small striped pillows: Bungalow by Michael Miller
  • Rug: Lusy Blom, Ikea
  • Storage for benches: Branas, Ikea
  • Storage on bookshelf: Y Weave, Target
  • Playroom Rules: Free printable!
  • Clock: Target
  • Red Frame, Orange Chevron Frame, Rainbow Frame: Hobby Lobby
  • Painted storage blocks: Hobby Lobby
  • Trains: Hobby Lobby
  • Easel: Ikea
  • Table and chairs: Bright Nantucket set by Kid Kraft
About these ads

20 Responses to “Our Bright and Fun Playroom: The Details”

1. hgjenkinson November 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

you guys really did a great job. anxious to see it when I get there. Grandpa was pretty handy too.

2. Sam @ Thrive 360 Living March 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

What an amazing playroom! You did a wonderful job creating so many fun and unique play spaces throughout the room. And the new kitchen you created is to die for. I wish I had one like it when I was a little girl. I was looking for a way to email you but couldn’t find your contact info. I was wondering if I could use one image from your playroom with a link back to your blog. I’m doing a post about creative wall decor ideas for playrooms and I absolutely love the map you put on your wall. My blog can be found here http://thrive360.blogspot.com.

• ThisGreyHouse March 18, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Thank you!! My daughter loves her playroom and uses is daily! Yes, you can absolutely use one of the photos! Let me know if you have any questions :) Cute blog, too. Lots of good ideas!

• Sam @ Thrive 360 Living March 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Thanks so much! Hoping there are more DIY ideas or room makeovers on your list because you have such a creative talent.

• ThisGreyHouse March 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Aw, thank you! I do have a mini room make over I am going to be posting, hopefully this week! I also have big hopes for my laundry room but that is further out :)

3. Stephanie April 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing!

4. Megan April 12, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

What??!! Can me and my kids move in?!?! I love it

5. lindsey May 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

this is fabulous. what are the flash cards on the wire? looks like there are 20+ of them.

6. Nina Stokes October 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Will you help me by telling me the name of the plans your hubby used for the bookcases that hold her toys? I checked the link but failed to find them. Many thanks!

• ThisGreyHouse October 13, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Hi there! It’s the Bankable Bookcase from Land of Nod. You can find the knock off plans here:

We modified ours somewhat to work with the space we add. Good luck!

• Nina Stokes October 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Got it! Thanks so much. Granddaddy is going to build one for his precious granddaughter, Leah!

• Whitney June 30, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Do you have the link for the storage benches?

• ThisGreyHouse July 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

No, those we just made up on our own. I believe ana-white.com has a couple of plans!! I know we looked at a standard bench and sort of went from there…. add the scalloped edge to the bottom.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Thank You Apartment Therapy! « - January 15, 2013

[...] Thank you to Apartment Therapy for posting about Kyler’s playroom! You can view the details here [...]

2. Playroom design | Bellini Buzz - January 2, 2014

[…] Add a lot through window treatments, pillows, poufs, walls and rugs.  By keeping bigger items in the room neutral the colors pop. […]

3. Top 10! | - January 4, 2014

[…] Our Bright and Fun Playroom: The Details […]

4. Scrapbook: Homeschool/Playroom for Miss E | everyday magical... - February 6, 2014

[…] – This Grey House […]