Kyler’s Nautical First Birthday Party

28 Jan

For sweet Kyler’s first birthday, we decided to make her birthday party a nautical theme complete with anchors, whales, stripes, pink and navy! I started working on making things for her party well in advance so I didn’t have to stress out and stay up night after night working on her birthday party…. yeah…. I still did that. Not sure where I went wrong or perhaps I kept adding to my already long list of to-do’s but I felt like a Christmas Elf on Christmas Eve for the last month now. The day before the party I told my mom that next year we are going to Disney for her birthday. I am half-joking, half serious.

For those of you that don’t know me or my background, I am in the event industry so event and party planning come natural to me and I LOVE to do it. Anytime I can wrap my head around an idea, theme, or project, I tend to go all out (money hindering of course :) ). I ended up making 80% of her decor items so that can be cumbersome. I made the invitations, thank you cards, monthly photo cards, menu cards, other signs around the house, birthday bunting as well as all of the other bunting, ONE letters and KJ letters, and painted all sorts of anchors and whales.

Invites and Thank You cards:

The party came out great and I think Kyler had a great time. Thank you to EVERYONE that helped me with this party :) Pictures are below :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Outside decor:

Outside

Foyer & Thank You pails for the kiddos.

foyercollage

Kitchen area & Monthly Photos:

kitchencollage

Dessert, yum!

main

Push-Pop cupcakes and cake!

cake collage

Kyler’s First Birthday Cake!

IMG_5463

Cake Eating Chair!

highchair

Food set-up:

foodcollage

big
foodcollage1

Drink Display:

drinkscollage

Family room aka party spot!

entcenter

My First and My First Holiday photos:

famroomcollage

onesign

Looking into the backyard:

anchor

Now the fun begins…. cake time!

cakecollage1

cake6

She LOVED the cake <3

cakecollage2smilecake2smilecake1

She ate more than I thought she would!

cake collage3

Time to clean up!

cakedone

The Birthday Girl!

kyler2headband

Talking to her cousins in North Carolina on FaceTime.

facetime2

My love.

meandk

Kyler and her cousin Cole.

colekyler

Grandpa helping Kyler with her new car.

gifts3

Opening up gifts.

gifts2kyler3gifts1gifts

Cruising along with her new ATV from Grandma and Poppa.

barbie3barbie2barbie

It was a GREAT party and we are so blessed to have such great friends and family that love her to come celebrate her birthday with us! I think Kyler had a great time but the poor girl was tuckered out afterwards.

after

after2

Well Kyler Nicole, we hope you had the best first birthday a girl could have. We love you so much and are so lucky to be your Mom and Dad <3

16 Responses to “Kyler’s Nautical First Birthday Party”

1. Valerie Drabyk March 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Michelle,
    We are your Dad’s cousins from NJ. After I read your touching memorial to your brother, I looked at the photos of your beautiful daughter’s birthday party. I can’t get over the wonderful decorations that you made for Kyler’s first birthday!! I’ve never seen anything like it. You area very talented person. Enjoy her… I’m sure she will ease the pain of loosing Craig.
    Valerie & Andre’

• ThisGreyHouse March 18, 2013 at 8:26 am #

Thank you Valerie. I love planning parties and it makes it that much better when it’s for my little kiddo :)

2. Bradey April 25, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

How precious! We’re doing a nautical themed party for my little girl this year, and I found you in a search. (: Where in the world did you get her precious little outfit/bow at the end of your post? I order a little ruffle bottom onesie online, and it didn’t fit. :( (No returns)

Also, if you don’t mind me asking – where did you get the covers for around your water bottles?

3. Brooke April 26, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Hi there. Beautiful party!!!! Can you send me or post a picture of your invitations? I want to do this for my little boy and replace your pink with orange but now I’m searching for an invitation. Love your site :)

• ThisGreyHouse April 26, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Hi Brooke! Thank you so much :) I just updated this post to include the picture of the invitation and thank you card. Orange and Navy would be so cute for a nautical party, great idea! I searched all of the internet but just broke down and designed one myself. It’s simple but I love it :) Good luck with your little man’s party and let me know if you have any other questions!!

• Brooke April 26, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Thanks! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the invitation. You wouldn’t by chance have the template would you?! :0

• ThisGreyHouse April 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

I do :) I will send you an email :)

• Brooke April 26, 2013 at 10:24 am #

And also, how did you make those K & J signs? What is it on and what did you use? I’m sorry I just adore this party!

• ThisGreyHouse April 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Those are super simple! Buy the paper mâché letters from a craft store, your favorite scrapbook paper, glossy Mod Podge and the wooden anchor or whales! Turn the letter upside and paper upside down and trace. Cut it out and then Mod Podge it down! Give it 10 minutes and then Mod Podge over it to seal it. I did this a couple times. Last but not least, hot glue your anchor or whale somewhere on the letter and tada! And please, do not apologize! I love this stuff and don’t mind at all :)

4. Lisa June 14, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Gorgeous party! Did you make the pushpop cupcakes and Kyler’s cake? If so where can I find the recipes? We are doing an almost identical party but with a pink crab. Love the pink and navy, I’m very excited :)

• ThisGreyHouse June 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Hi Lisa! Thank you! I made the pushpop cupcakes and bought Kyler’s cake from the local bakery. Her cake was just a plain vanilla with buttercream. As for the push-pops, one was the funfetti mix with homemade buttercream frosting (with food coloring) and a chocolate cake with cookies and cream frosting. Are you looking for a tutorial on how to put them together or the actual cake recipes? Send me your e-mail and I will send a few links!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekend Update with The Jenkinsons | - May 5, 2013

[...] reader reached out to me about Kyler’s first birthday invitation since she was doing a navy and orange nautical party for her son’s first birthday. Since I [...]

2. A Mermaid Tale: 2nd Birthday Party | - January 31, 2014

[…] At first, I wasn’t sure since it can be similar to a nautical theme and if you recall, we did that last year. But if that is what she wants, that is what she […]